All international students and scholars need to acquire an appropriate type of visa which corresponds to their purpose of visit before coming to Korea. The type of visa you receive will vary depending on the length and purpose of visit, your individual status, etc.


Students must receive a D-2 visa, and the specific type of D-2 visa may vary depending on their program. 


Faculty/lecturers who are staying for more than 90 days will require an E-1 visa. (For your family dependent, a F-3 visa will be issued.)


  • Researchers who are staying for more than 90 days will require an E-3 visa. (For your family dependent, a F-3 visa will be issued.)


  • Note that students from certain countries may require to receive a Confirmation of Visa Issuance (CVI) number from the host university in Korea in order to apply for an entry visa. Please contact the Korean Embassy and a staff at ISSS if you fall into this category.


  • According to an individual’s status of application, all scholars staying in Korea for more than 90 days will need to acquire one of the visa types mentioned below:
    • E-1: Faculty, Lecturer
    • E-3: Researcher
    • F-3: Spouse of children of E-1/E-3 visa holders


  • You can also consult the Korea Immigration Call Center by dialing 1345 (without area code) from a local or mobile phone from anywhere in Korea.

*The Call Center operates consultation in a variety of languages. It is available from 09:00~18:00, Monday to Friday.